Sunday 21 August 2016

Rio 2016 (Part-1)

I am staying at a one bedroom semi-furnished apartment located on top of a Mountain near Rio Central. View from the apartment is priceless however the apartment does not come with a proper bed and other auxiliary home appliances.

View from My Apartment
My host Rosemberg De Araújo Silva Araújo is works with the Brazilian Military and also a volunteer for Rio 2016 but he does not speak English at all and I don’t understand Portuguese. So we have to depend google translate app which is very useful.

With my Host at the Airport (GIG)
I was tired of nearly two days of flight and needed a very good sleep. I told him that I need to sleep. He left and I went to bed straight. Before leaving he informed me that I should meet him tomorrow so that he can show the way to the Uniform and Accreditation Collection Center. I went to bed and slept really well. Next morning after having breakfast I and my host went to the Uniform and Accreditation Collection Center which is around 10-15 minutes walking distance from my apartment.

My Olympic Kit!!!
It was like 8.30 AM and the line was not that big. It took around 30 minutes to complete the whole process. Now I am with my accreditation and uniforms and ready to do my part. I was so excited to meet my team. 

Pier Maua!!!
At the center I met a native volunteer who came to collect his uniform. His name is Savio Ferreira Ribeiro he is part of Doping Control Team. After uniform collection we went to central to buy a SIM Card (Brazilian call it CHIP Card). After trying several SIM cards it appeared that my phone does not support Brazilian SIM. Sweet!!! But I am so grateful to this guy.

With Savio Ferreira Ribeiro, On our way to Central!!!
I had two days of work and then four days off. I missed my first two shifts because of ticket cancellation. My next available shift was on 12 August 2016. So I had three days to familiarize myself with the transport and venues. My host took me to my venue Olympic Stadium (it known as Estádio Nilton Santos – Engenhão to locals) and on our way back we went to see the famous stadium Maracana. After Maracana we went to see probably the most famous beach in the world. “Copacabana”

In front of Famous Maracana Stadium!!!
My workplace is just three stops away from my station which is good but it takes around 20 minutes’ walk from my home to the nearest station known as Central do Brasil. According to Wikipedia Central do Brasil is the most important train station in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro. It is the last stop of Rio's railway network, as well as a hub for connection with the city subway and a bus station. However to locals it is one of the most unsafe stations at the City.

Copacabana!!!
On very next day (11 August 2016) my host, his two Sons and I went to Rio Olympic Boulevard and Pier Mauá two of the most attractive places of Rio de Janeiro. Had a great day out. A good start of my Rio Journey began.  


< Stay Tuned >

No comments:

Post a Comment